I always love building new things and hope to share them all here one day. These projects cost me my discretionary income. Please consider donating and helping me pursue greater and bigger projects. I love you all!
People say I’m extravagant because I want to be surrounded by beauty. But tell me, who wants to be surrounded by garbage?
Field mice run rampant and will tear apart any garbage left unsecured where I lived when this shed was built. Skunks as well incidentally. My former shed for garbage was about as old as myself and had several points of entry for those wonderful flea infested critters to have at my discarded refuse.
So I decided to build a nice big, super secure, odor-enclosing, critter obstructing refuse container. Fortunately, I had Sarah to help me as I decided to make the project as complicated as possible.
The floor is built with two 1&1/4″ thick OSB boards I recovered from pallets at work. A thickness I have seen nowhere else. The rest of the body is made from 1/2″ OSB, also recovered from pallets at work, and 2×4’s. Every piece has two thick coats of white kilz wood penetrating primer.
I used screws, not nails to prevent as best as possible the warping OSB is prone too. Additionally, every seam, crack, crevice and joint is filled with loctite premium. Making the whole structure tank-worthy.
I wanted to paint the shed regal purple for my grandmother who, before I was born, painted what would eventually become my workshop, that same color. Once the hardware was added and the body was sufficiently sealed we got to burn the former garbage shed with glee and rid ourselves of what had been a bane to my waste disposal processes since I was only four years old.
The roof is made from some corrugated steel pieces I had laying around my property. I used an angle grinder to cut the pieces to a decent size, loctited them together with a nice two wave overlap and used self tapping sheet metal screws to affix them to the structure’s roof. I then used clear silicone to seal over the surface of all of the seams.
To complete the aesthetic and complement the local style I added 1 x 1-1/4″ straps painted some kind of blue. French Lilac. They’re sealed on by, of course, loctite premium, and finishing nails.
The design allows you to load the garbage in the top and dump it out from the front. The structure has twenty-four cubic feet of shit-holding capacity which is an eight or so cubic foot increase over the former. The lid and front opening are sealed tight with some standard weather stripping and I filled all of the steel roofing corrugations with loctite spray foam to prevent rot on the roofing OSB.